Work Program for the National Campaign to Curb the Trend of Internet Indecency
The English translation is by William Farris and was first published on January 25, 2009 at www.feichangdao.com/documents and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License. License terms are available at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0. When attributing please include the translator's name and the following link: http://www.feichangdao.com.
Notice Regarding the Transmittal of the Work Program for the National Campaign to Curb the Trend of Internet Indecency
Beijing Communications Administration Market Supervision Office (2009) No. 31
Basic telecommunications operators and all related enterprises engaged in Internet businesses:
This Notice of the Work Program for the National Campaign to Curb the Trend of Internet Indecency is hereby transmitted to you, with the hope that your company will focus its energy on investigating and addressing the specific circumstances of your website and the 13 types of indecent content defined by the Program. Please report the status of your cleansing and curbing to our office in writing. The specific requirements are as follows:
I. A Common Understanding and a Vigorous Implementation
The leaders of all basic telecommunications operating companies and all value-added Internet enterprises must thoroughly recognize the importance and necessity of the National Work Program for the Campaign to Curb the Trend of Internet Indecency, and do away with the ideology of "focus on operations and neglect management" and "focus on economic gain and neglect security work." They must spare no efforts in implementation and work to effectively put measures in place in order to ensure the success of this campaign.
II. Seize Key Points and Seek Practical Results
All basic telecommunications operating companies and all value-added Internet enterprises must take appropriate responsibility for network and information security management. Their information security management, systems, personnel, and technical measures must all meet stipulated standards. Basic telecommunications operators and network access service operators must require all accessing websites to carry out self-examination and self-correction; information service operators must address the specific characteristics of their company's website and focus on inspecting links to electronic bulletin boards and company websites, and promptly correct any problems their inspection uncovers.
III. Cooperate Closely and Perfect Mechanisms
Internet governance comprises a harmoniously coordinated mechanism made up of different government agencies such as those responsible for business regulation, content regulation, and content screening. The relevant departments shall quickly and severely sanction those who refuse to accede to their authority or to correct and reform their websites, and will make these refusals public. You should actively coordinate with relevant government agencies on this campaign to curb the trend of Internet indecency and ensure your company plays its part as an integral link in the chain of Internet governance.
January 16, 2009
With a Copy To: Ministry of Industry and Information Technology
Issued by the Administration's Office on January 16, 2009
Work Program for the National Campaign to Curb the Trend of Internet Indecency
In order to implement the spirit of the central leadership comrades' important instructions, since June 2008, relevant government agencies have organized a campaign to "purge the trend of online indecency," and comprehensively cleanse online indecent information. Since the launch of the campaign, most websites have been able to meet the requirements of enterprise self-regulation and cleanse and block indecent content and purify the network environment, and their efforts in purging the trend of online indecency have shown some partial success. We must not, however, overestimate the results of this cleaning of trend of online indecency, as many websites have been careless in their management, even recalcitrant, in order to acquire traffic and profits, and the result has been that, despite repeated bans, online indecent content could not be stopped. In order to thoroughly change this situation, during the first ten days of January, 2009, a national campaign to curb the trend of Internet indecency was launched under the leadership of the International Communication Office of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, joined by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, the Ministry of Public Security, the Ministry of Culture, the State Administration of Industry and Commerce, the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television, and the General Administration of Press and Publication. The work program is as follows:
I. Guiding Ideology and Work Goals
Under the guidance of Deng Xiaoping Theory and the "Three Represents" thoroughly implement the concept of scientific development. In accordance with the requirements of socialism's core value system steadfastly promote the construction and management of network culture. Earnestly implement the requirements of the "CPC Central Committee General Office of the State Council General Office Opinion on Strengthening Network Culture Construction and Management" (CCGO Issue  No. 16) and the spirit of the central leadership comrades' important instructions. Unify organization, act in a concerted manner, concentrate on cleansing and curbing online indecent content, regulate the order of Internet information transmission, further strengthen the social responsibility of network information services, promote a cultured approach to network management, make going online in a cultured way a practical reality, and ensure that the Internet environment is improved and cleansed as quickly as possible and that the trend of online indecency is effectively restrained, allowing the Internet to become an important arena for the transmission of healthy culture.
II. Primary Duties
1. Focus on cleansing and curbing online indecency content. Focus on carrying out an examination for the following 13 aspects of indecent content based on a standard of whether it is contrary to social morality and detrimental to the physical and mental health of the youth:
Blatant or veiled displays of sexual behavior, and content that produces sexual associations in people's minds, is provocative, or is degrading;
Direct exposure or depiction of human genitalia;
Language that describes or is sexually suggestive or provocative with respect to sexual activities, sexual processes, or sexual methods;
Description, exposure, or only slight coverage of genitalia;
Full nudity, unclothed private parts, and private parts that are only covered by human limbs;
Content that violates personal privacy by showing underwear, nudity, or exposed private parts where the subject was unaware they were being photographed;
Solicitation of clicks through provocative titles;
Pornography, indecent fiction, and audio and video content, including some censored scenes from full-length movies that are prohibited by relevant government agencies;
Information regarding immoral relationships such as those involving one night stands, wife swapping, and sado-masochism;
Content that promotes bloody violence, malicious invectives, insults to others, etc.;
Advertisements for illicit "sex drugs" and treatments for sexually transmitted diseases;
Maliciously disseminating personal private information without the subject's permission or through the use of "human flesh searches."
2. Focus on cleansing and curbing those websites that have a relatively large influence and the kinds of websites and channels that are likely to create problems. During this campaign it is necessary to carry out a comprehensive examination and enlarge the scope of cleansing and remediating central party and government news websites, local party and government key news websites, major commercial websites, search engine websites, large-scale community forum websites, video websites, gaming websites, animation websites, WAP websites, and mobile television, as well as the imagery, photo albums, health, gender, women, entertainment, sexual knowledge, and blogs, podcasts, and message board sections of all websites. Websites that disseminate indecent information shall be given a warning, and in serious circumstances an exposure and censure shall be undertaken. Indecent websites that show underwear, nudity, or exposed private parts where the subject was unaware they were being photographed shall be shut down without exception, those responsible will held strictly accountable and those who refuse to correct and reform their behavior will be severely sanctioned, while those who show outstanding achievements will be publicly commended.
3. Strike hard against network obscenity and pornography. All relevant departments must comply with the division of responsibilities of the "campaign to crack down on network obscenity and pornography," increase the scope of their work, cleanse and curb obscenity and pornography in search engines, blogs, podcasts, network audio and video programs, online publishing, online literature, online games, online animation, WAP sites, mobile phone literature, and mobile television. Resolutely break the chain or actors who benefit from the dissemination of network obscene and pornographic information. Severely punish websites that disseminate obscene and pornographic information and all types of telecommunications enterprises that act as fee collection agents for obscene and pornographic websites.
III. Division of Duties
In early January 2009 the International Communication Office of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, the Ministry of Public Security, the Ministry of Culture, the State Administration of Industry and Commerce, the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television, and the General Administration of Press and Publication convened a teleconference on the National Campaign to Curb the Trend of Internet Indecency to implement specific deployments for campaign activities, set forth specific requirements, and clarify work objectives. The specific division of work is as follows:
The International Communication Office of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China is responsible for the campaign's leadership and overall coordination. It is responsible for cleansing and curbing indecent content on central and local party and government key news websites, major commercial websites, and search engine websites.
The Ministry of Industry and Information Technology is responsible for raising requests to telecommunications operators, coordinating the inspection and cleansing of online indecent content by all content regulators, and sanction in accordance with the law websites that disseminate indecent information.
The Ministry of Public Security is responsible for cracking down on illegal criminal activities such as the online dissemination of obscene and pornographic information.
The Ministry of Culture is responsible for implementing the management requirements of Internet cafes, strengthening oversight of online gaming services (including mobile phone games) and online animation (including mobile phone animation), and cleansing indecent information from Internet cafes, online game services (including mobile phone games), and online animation (including mobile phone animation).
The State Administration of Industry and Commerce is responsible for coordinating health, drug Administration and other departments to investigate and deal with online illegal "sex medicine" advertisements and sexually transmitted disease treatment advertisements.
The State Administration of Radio, Film, and Television is responsible for carrying out law enforcement investigations of online audio and video programs, video websites, and mobile phone video, and for removing indecent content from audio-visual programs.
The General Administration of Press and Publication is responsible for cleansing and curbing indecent content from online publishing, online literature, and mobile phone literature.
IV. Work Requirements
The current National Campaign to Curb the Trend of Internet Indecency began in the first ten days of January, 2009 and will continue for one month until the first ten days of February. Through this remediation campaign we will be able to gain effective control over the trend of Internet indecency and illegal and harmful information, as well as establish a healthy and cultured Internet environment for young people who go online. The main work requirements are as follows:
1. Raise awareness, pay close attention, and make careful arrangements. Cleansing and curbing the trend of network indecency and protecting the development of minors is an important initiative in winning the people's hearts and complying with the popular will, and is an inevitable prerequisite of the construction of a harmonious network culture. All locales and all government agencies must build a socialist harmonious society, strengthen strategies for network culture construction and management, fully appreciate the important meaning of the current cleansing and remediation work, remain resolute, and with the knowledge that justice is on your side, clean up network indecent information and reverse the tendency toward the spread of trends of network indecency. The primarily responsible comrades at all government agencies must personally, and the leading responsible comrades must specifically, make the task of cleansing and curbing network indecent information the focus of their current work. Strengthen leadership, rely on previous directions, make careful arrangements, carry out all work responsibilities in a practical manner, and ceaselessly enlarge the scope of cleansing and remediation.
2. Unify organization, act in concert, and pool efforts. The International Communication Office of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, the Ministry of Public Security, the Ministry of Culture, the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television, the General Administration of Press and Publication, and the State Administration of Industry and Commerce shall do the work of deploying this system, defining clear work flows, establishing rapid and effective unified response mechanisms, clarifying responsibilities, ensuring close coordination, and creating synergies. All government agencies of the provinces, autonomous regions, and municipalities directly under the central government will establish appropriate working mechanisms to ensure the completion of all cleansing and remediation tasks.
3. Increase the scope of propaganda and encourage public supervision. It is necessary to organize mainstream media and websites to publicize the meaning underlying the launch of the cleansing and remediation campaign, as well as the results it achieves, fully explain the dangerous nature of the trend of online indecency, strengthen mechanisms for exposure and censure as well as mechanisms for publicizing praise, form strong public opinion momentum throughout the nation for the cleansing and curbing of the trend of network indecency, encourage public supervision, and expand the mobilization of the masses in reporting problems. Bring fully into play the utility of the Information and Network Security reporting website, the Internet Society of China's Illegal Information Reporting Centre, and the 12321 Internet Harmful Information and Spam Report Acceptance Center, and provide powerful support for the cleansing and curbing of network indecent content.
4. Establish long term mechanisms to cleanse and curb indecent information. In order to cleanse and curb network indecent information, it is necessary to unite daily management with concentrated action. With feet firmly planted in the present, look to the future, grasp the fundamental management of the Internet; stop the production of indecent information at its source, formulate standards for identifying indecent information; clearly require all websites to establish work responsibility systems; strictly execute a system of prior censorship of forums, blogs, podcasts, bulletin boards, and other kinds of websites that are likely to produce indecent information; establish systems for pursuing those responsible for publishing indecent information; and establish and perfect long-term mechanisms for cleansing and curbing indecent information.
In the original Chinese "Internet" (互联网) and "network" (网络) appear to be used interchangeably. The English translation follows the Chinese original in this regard.
"低俗" is translated as "indecent" based on the nature of the 13 types of prohibited content. "Vulgar" is also arguably appropriate.
"整治" is generally translated as "curb" when used as a verb. It has been translated as "remediation" when used as a noun and as an adjective.
"人肉搜索" is translated as "human flesh search" because the original Chinese placed the term in quotes, and to in accordance with the current convention of literally translating the term. A better translation would be "personal background search."
The formatting of the Chinese original has been changed to improve readability.
Punctuation errors in the Chinese original have been corrected.
Comments and suggestions welcome: infoatfeichangdaodotcom.